Today is World Kidney Day!
Crucially, kidney disease can be prevented and progression to end-stage kidney disease can be delayed with appropriate access to basic diagnostics and early treatment. There is a need to increase the awareness of the importance of preventive measures throughout populations, professionals and policy makers.
This year, World Kidney Day continues to raise awareness of the increasing burden of kidney diseases worldwide and to strive for kidney health for everyone, everywhere. Specifically, the 2020 campaign highlights the importance of preventive interventions to avert the onset and progression of kidney disease.
- Kidney disease is projected to become the 5th leading cause of premature death globally by 2040.
- Crucially, the onset and progression of chronic kidney disease is often preventable through primary, secondary or tertiary interventions,
- Clinical preventaive interventions include early check ups, blood pressure and glycemic control as well as management of co-morbidities e.g. cardiovascular disease.
- A key preventative measure is more education and awareness of the risks of kidney disease among the population, patients, professions and policy makers.
- A drastic change and improvement in national and specific policies directed towards education and awareness about kidney disease as well as CKD screening, management and treatment are needed.
- World Kidney Day calls on everyone to advocate for concrete measures in every country to promote and advance kidney disease prevention.
To learn more about World Kidney Day, visit their website here.
Let's Go #Teal4PKD
Today is a great opportunity to remind your friends and family about World Kidney Day and National Kidney Month by using our #endPKD Facebook frame on your profile picture. Remember to snap a photo and share online using #Teal4PKD!
Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for a variety of Kidney Month stories and photos. You can help spread awareness of PKD and the importance of keeping our kidneys healthy by sharing these posts through your social media channels as well.
3 Ways to Get Involved This Kidney Day
Learn- Get accurate and clear information about polycystic kidney disease and read answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about an ADPKD or ARPKD diagnosis.
Donate-One of the most powerful ways you can be a part of Kidney Month is by making a gift today. Your donation will help further the PKD Foundation of Canada's mission to promote programs of research, education, advocacy, support and awareness for PKD. Help make a difference in the lives of 66,000 Canadians and 12.5 million people affected by PKD. Donate today !
Volunteer- The PKD Foundation of Canada chapters and the volunteers who lead them are the backbone of the polycystic kidney disease (PKD) community, driving vital programs around the world. Connect with your local chapter to stay up to date on events within your community and for opportunities to support the PKD Foundation of Canada on a local level.
Don’t see a chapter near you? Email us to learn about starting a chapter in your local community.