2020 was a difficult year for many of us, including the charitable sector and the PKD Foundation of Canada. With event cancellations, funding shortfalls and increased need for support, now more than ever, you have the opportunity to make an even bigger impact with your support. With the tips provided below, you can plan your own successful fundraiser to make your support go further in the fight to #endPKD.
Where to Start:
So you've decided you want to do a DIY fundraiser in support of the PKD community! Not sure where to start? Begin planning by choosing what kind of DIY you want to do. It's helpful to reflect on your hobbies and branch out from there! Do you love baking? A bake sale would be a great idea! You play guitar? Think about hosting a zoom concert!
- bake sale (with socially distanced drop-offs)
- zoom cooking class
- virtual game night/ trivia
- walkathon/run/step counting/ yogathon/ biking
- competitions- eating/racing/cooking/baking
- virtual yard sale
- virtual book sale with porch drop-offs
- selling crafts online- children's crafts/ knitting/ crochet etc.
- zoom concert
Planning For a Successful DIY Fundraiser
- Choose a specific date or time period for which your DIY event(s) will take place. Choose a time that is convenient for the most amount of people.
- Make a list of people you want to ask to participate or support you and your DIY campaign
- Plan your routes of communication for your list of prospective supporters. Will you reach out on social media, through direct messaging, email or phone calls? Which best suits the people you have included on your list?
Tips and Toolbox
Here are some extra tips when planning for success with a DIY campaign:
- You can register your DIY fundraiser with us here and create your own personal fundraising page!
- Tell your personal story when asking for support. Why do you support the PKD Foundation of Canada and why should they?
- Set a fundraising goal for your DIY fundraiser and set it high!
- Check to see if your employer offers donation matching programs. Many companies love to see their employees get involved in the community!
- If you are looking for ideas, visual assets, examples of social media captions, or emails to enhance your DIY fundraiser, visit our DIY toolkit here!
Don't forget to adhere to Covid-19 safety guidelines in your region! The health and safety of you and your supporters is of the utmost importance to us at the PKD Foundation of Canada.
The contribution from your DIY fundraiser, no matter the size, will make a difference in the lives of 12.5 million people worldwide with polycystic kidney disease (PKD). Take part in #DIY2ENDPKD today, to support vital PKD research, education and awareness.
If you have any questions about how to make your #DIY2ENDPKD a successful fundraiser, feel free to reach out to us! We are here to help you every step of the way!