What do I need to know about nutrition?
Staying healthy is important when living with polycystic kidney disease (PKD), and you can take simple steps towards improving your nutrition and diet throughout a diagnosis. Dietary factors can play an important role in alleviating symptoms and slowing the progression toward renal failure. It is important to learn how specific nutrients interact with kidneys, cysts, blood pressure, etc., and how to make the necessary adjustments for an individual situation.
Some other recommendations which play a role in a healthy diet/lifestyle include:
- Reduce stress in your life
- Avoid inflammation
- Eat a (mostly) vegetarian diet high in antioxidants
- Try soybeans
- Choose low sodium foods and condiments
- Watch caffeine intake
- Watch out for potassium rich foods
- Eat more omega-3 rich foods
- Eat high fibre carbohydrates