What do I need to know about nutrition?
Through a diagnosis of autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease (ARPKD), adjustments may need to be made to ensure children are receiving the optimal amount of nutrients and vitamins to lead healthy lives. Dietary considerations play an important role in alleviating symptoms and slowing the progression toward renal failure. It is important to learn how specific nutrients interact with kidneys, cysts, blood pressure, etc., and how to make the necessary adjustments for an individual situation.
Some other recommendations which play a role in a healthy diet/lifestyle include:
- Reduce stress in your life
- Avoid inflammation
- Eat a (mostly) vegetarian diet high in antioxidants
- Try soybeans
- Choose low sodium foods and condiments
- Watch the caffeine
- Load up on potassium rich foods
- Eat more omega-3 rich foods
- Eat high fibre carbohydrates